Ramble and Recharge: Mindfulness and Relaxation Tips
In the hustle and bustle of modern lives, finding moments of calm can seem like a distant dream. The constant demands of work, family, and technology can leave us feeling stressed and sometimes overwhelmed. Start 2024 off on the right foot by practicing mindfulness and relaxation to improve your overall well-being. Our approach to practicing mindfulness and ultimately achieving balance is to “Ramble and Recharge.” Taking time during our walks, be they long rambles or a quick stretch of the legs, to be present and completely clear our minds.
How to be Mindful…
Mindfulness involves being fully present in the moment, it’s about paying attention to and being aware of our thoughts and feelings without getting caught up in them as well as noticing and appreciating our surroundings. This practice has been linked to many health benefits, including reducing stress, improved focus and increased emotional well-being.
- Practice the art of mindfulness by noticing your surroundings, whether it’s the beautiful and rugged Cornish coastline or on your favourite dog walk.
- Pay extra attention to the sounds of nature, whether it’s the waves crashing, birds singing or the rustling of leaves. These natural sounds help soothe your mind.
- Clear your thoughts by concentrating on your breathing and the rhythm of your steps as you walk. Consider setting your phone to silent mode or even turning it off completely to help you fully immerse yourself in the surroundings.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear, this ensures you can relax and enjoy your stomp without any discomfort.
- Bring a camera or, for the artists amongst, a sketchbook to capture the scenic views. This allows you to really focus on the beauty around you.
- Choose somewhere free from crowds to walk, if possible, so you can connect with the landscape without any distractions.
- Use this time to reflect on your thoughts and feelings. Walking outdoors can be a great opportunity for introspection and gaining a clearer perspective of life without distractions.
Mindfulness breathing techniques:
Mindfulness breathing techniques are a simple yet powerful technique to help you focus on your breath and bring your attention to the present, promoting relaxation. The key to mindful breathing is focusing on your breath whenever your mind starts to wander. Consistent practice of this technique can help you build mindfulness as a skill, promoting a sense of calm and clarity in your daily life.
Here are some of our favourite mindful breathing techniques to try:
Inhale slowly for a count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of four.
Exhale slowly for a count of four.
Pause and hold your breath for another count of four.
Repeat this pattern for several rounds.
Practice mindfulness while walking by paying attention to each step.
Focus on the sensation of lifting your foot, moving it forward, and placing it back down.
Next coordinate your breath with your steps, try inhaling for a certain number of steps and exhaling for the same.
We think there is a no better place to reconnect with nature than on the rugged North Cornwall coast, combined with the wonderfully fresh seafood found on our menus and plenty of deep sleep after days of fresh salty air you’ll find all you need to refresh and rest for the year ahead. Our Ramble and Recharge Break is designed to kick start your year on the right foot.