Rick Stein’s Cornwall: Mushroom and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe
As seen on Rick Stein’s Cornwall, this is Rick’s mushroom and broccoli stir fry recipe, inspired by a visit to Re-growth mushroom farm near Bude. This simple recipe will quickly become a household favourite midweek supper. It really is greater than the sum of its parts.
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable/groundnut oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2cm piece of root ginger, peeled and sliced into thin batons
- 300g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed into ⅔ pieces
- 350g mushrooms such as lion’s mane, king oyster and shiitake, sliced/halved as appropriate
- 400g fresh egg noodles
- 200g beansprouts
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp black bean sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry or Chinese Shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 60ml water
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- Small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped.
- In a wok over a high heat add 3 tbsp of oil, add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 20-30 seconds then add the sliced onion and broccoli and keep stirring for a minute or two before adding the mushrooms. Continue to cook over a high heat, adding a little more oil if required.
- Add the chilli flakes, soy sauce, black bean sauce and Shaoxing wine. Add the cornflour mixture and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken.
- Then add the noodles and beansprouts and stir through to heat thoroughly. Add two tablespoons of water and keep them moving cook for a couple of minutes to heat through – add another two tablespoons of water if needed to make a silky sauce.
- Divide between bowls and top with the spring onions and coriander.
MORE RECIPES FROM RICK STEIN’S CORNWALL
Recreate your favourite recipes from series one, two and three of Rick’s adventures around Cornwall. Something sweet, something savoury, something spicy and lots more to cook at home.